APNA's definition of primary health care nursing covers health, scope of practice, primary health care, roles and settings. We also explore general practice nursing and Phillips et al. six roles of the general practice nurse.
APNA Endorsement Program
Click here to see a list of APNA's endorsed educational learning activities.
APNA is committed to supporting primary health care nurses in developing their knowledge and skills. APNA aims to support, facilitate and promote a professional development program to its members. Continuing professional development (CPD) is an essential part of a nurse’s role, to ensure they are current with the latest clinical teaching and they fulfill their AHPRA registration requirements.
Aim of APNA Endorsement
- To guide organisations in the standards required by the profession.
- To encourage organisations to adopt best practice educational principles when developing CPD activities.
- To recognise APNA members’ commitment to CPD and guide participants in the allocation of appropriate CPD hours for the purpose of meeting their requirements under national registration.
- Provide the opportunity for education providers to receive feedback from APNA, ensuring endorsed activities accurately reflect the primary health care nursing context and scope of practice.
- An easy way for APNA members to find endorsed CPD on topics they seek to expand their knowledge on.
- For APNA to advertise quality education to it’s nursing database.
What can be endorsed by APNA?
Any continuing professional development activity for Australian primary health care nurses may be submitted for endorsement.
Types of APNA Endorsement
APNA offers endorsement of educational and online learning activities. APNA provides a set of quality standards to be met in order for APNA endorsement to be granted.
Quality Standard 1: The educational activity is highly relevant to the needs of primary health care nurses to provide high quality nursing care in a primary health care setting
Quality Standard 2: The content of the educational activity is evidence based and of high quality
Quality Standard 3: The delivery of the educational activity is professional
Quality Standard 4: The educational activity includes a formal evaluation
Quality Standard 5: The educational activity is developed and delivered by a credible organisation
Endorsement of educational activities and online learning activities
APNA promotes endorsed activities to primary health care nurses to ensure that quality activities which meet the high standards demanded by the profession are recognised. To have an activity approved for APNA endorsement you must be a credible organisation committed to supporting the needs of our primary health care nurses. APNA will work with the applicant to promote the endorsed activity appropriately and allow use of the APNA endorsement logo for marketing of the educational activity.
- Promotion of the endorsed activity via APNA’s website.
- Allow the use of APNA’s endorsement logo for marketing purposes.
- Endorsed activity advertised multiple times to APNA’s database via The Connect.
How to apply
The completed application form along with all supporting documents and payment must be submitted to the APNA office. Once the application and payment has been confirmed, applications are forwarded to nominated APNA assessors for adherence to the quality standards. All APNA assessors have advanced knowledge in various specialties. Applications may be submitted at any time; however applicants should acknowledge the time taken to complete an application process to ensure sufficient time is granted before the proposed date of each activity.
Please note, the application process may take up to 4-6 weeks.
You can find the online learning activity and educational activity application forms below.
For more information and the requirements please email us.