APNA's definition of primary health care nursing covers health, scope of practice, primary health care, roles and settings. We also explore general practice nursing and Phillips et al. six roles of the general practice nurse.
Chronic Disease Management and Healthy Ageing Program
Empower your patients to age well and thrive
Please note - The program will be delivered completely online until further notice. Register now for our upcoming virtual workshop, on the 11th and 13th May.
I had a great day. Thank you. Wonderful informative speakers. Great venue. Good to network too.
Great learning course. Enjoyed meeting the other practice nurses and listening to their feedback to questions.
With 1 in 2 Australians suffering from chronic disease, there's no better time to upskill in chronic disease management and healthy ageing. APNA's new 12 month program offers over 60 hours of online and face-to-face learning, designed for nurses by nurses in primary health care.
- General program information
- Program objectives
- Program components
- Program dates, locations and registration details
- Cancellations and refunds
General program information
Duration: 12 months
- Compulsory: 1 day workshop (Up to 6 CPD hours) - delivered as two virtual half day workshops
- Electives: Online learning (More than 50 CPD hours to choose from)
Location: Face-to-face or online workshop. Remaining activities are online.
Cost: $200 (ex GST) for APNA non-members and members. Grants and sponsorship opportunities are available.
- To understand the fundamental principles of chronic disease management and healthy ageing.
- To incorporate and apply the concepts of chronic disease management and healthy ageing within their nursing practice.
- To identify strengths and areas to grow in relation to chronic disease management and healthy ageing practice.
2 half day workshops | Up to 6 CPD hours | 9:30am - 12:30pm
In an interactive and practical workshop, split into two parts, nurses will be guided through their role in empowering patients to manage chronic disease and healthy ageing.This includes:
- Aged Care Commission – Final Report: 1 March 2021
- Overview of Chronic Disease Management and Healthy Ageing (CDMHA)
- Optimising Healthy Ageing versus Managing Chronic Disease Burden
- Population Health and Healthy Ageing
- Strategies and Tools supporting CDM and HA
- Developing Therapeutic Relationships for Clients with Chronic and Complex Conditions
- Communication and Health Literacy
- Motivational interviewing
- Goal Setting
- Implementing CDM and HA into practice
You can find the full workshop learning objectives here.
Upon registering for the workshop, nurses take a self-assessment (online survey) to identify their current knowledge, and become aware of any areas for improvement. From this, we link nurses to key APNA online learning to complete.
APNA Online Learning
An online learning bundle of approximately 60 CPD hours is provided to nurses by APNA. This is accessible from when nurses register for a workshop, and access is available for one year. We encourage nurses to use their self-assessment as a guide through the foundational, intermediate and advanced stages of their personalised learning journey. Nurses are not required or expected to complete all of the learning activities. Click here to download a list of available modules.
Community of Practice
A private messaging platform where program participants can discuss, engage and consult with their peers. APNA provides tips and resources to the group, as well as encouraging and facilitating discussion. APNA will also host teleconferences to advance education and engagement.
As part of the program APNA is developing a series of webinars.
Watch our first webinar, Cancer and its care, on YouTube here.
Our second webinar, Psychological distress in primary health care patients, will be available to view soon.
This will include one complimentary call for non-members and ongoing support to members, through the APNA Nurse Support Line – a service to assist nurses with any queries. APNA may also make contact to check how nurses have been implementing learnings from this program.
All face-to-face workshops are on hold until further notice due to COVID-19.
National intake - Tuesday 11th and Thursday 13th May - REGISTER NOW
More dates and locations coming soon
Cancellations and refunds
Event cancellations must be made in writing to APNA.
There is a range of scholarships that may fund your attendance to one of the workshops. A list of scholarships and grants is here.
APNA encourages nurses working in rural and remote areas to apply for the Health Workforce Scholarship.
Follow the link above to find out more.
The Chronic Disease Management and Health Ageing Program has been funded by the Australian Government Department of Health.