Supported by Health Professionals Bank. The results of this survey equips APNA members with information on the workforce conditions of your profession, and helps APNA’s develop evidence-based policy and programs relating to the primary health care nurse workforce and to advocate for you.
STI & Blood Borne Virus
Nurses will learn about STI testing, the importance of contact tracing and explaining safe sex and prevention to clients.
This course aims to assist Primary Health Care nurses to gain a better understanding of the management of Sexually Transmissible Infections (STIs), HIV and Viral Hepatitis within general practice.
For your optimal learning experience this course has been divided into the following sections:
- Risk assessment and taking a basic sexual history,
- Sexually Transmissible Infections (bacterial),
- Sexually Transmissible Infections (viral and other), and
- Blood Borne Viruses.
1.5 hours / 1.5 CPD hours
Cost: $57.75 inc GST / APNA Members FREE
About the Author
The module has been developed by The NSW STI Programs Unit in 2010 and was last updated in 2015.
The module will provide you with an understanding of:
- Explain the relevance of epidemiology to clinical practice and where to locate local data,
- Define the purpose and two methods of contact tracing,
- Perform sexual health history taking,
- Have an increased knowledge in safe sex discussion and prevention strategies,
- Have an increased knowledge of the tests and/or clinical signs used to diagnose the most common STIs, i.e. Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea and Syphilis, and
- Have an increased knowledge of the tests and/or clinical signs used to diagnose Blood Borne Viruses, i.e. Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV.
Suitable for nurses working in primary health care including general practice.
What you’ll get
At the completion of each module you will be presented with a brief online assessment that will test your underpinning knowledge.
To fully complete the course and claim your full CPD hours, we recommend you also complete the corresponding survey at the end. It only takes a few minutes to complete.
Once you have completed all sections of the course, a certificate will be available next to the course name in the ‘My Training’ section of APNA Online Learning.