Supported by Health Professionals Bank. The results of this survey equips APNA members with information on the workforce conditions of your profession, and helps APNA’s develop evidence-based policy and programs relating to the primary health care nurse workforce and to advocate for you.
News: My Health Record update: Legislation changes
APNA has long supported the development of a safe, quality, national e-health record as part of an effective healthcare system.
Primary health care nurses can play a key role in understanding the principles and value of the My Health Record, assisting access, as well as cleaning and uploading data to the shared health record.
APNA believes that e-health records are an essential tool to facilitate safe and accurate health care stewardship for consumers and clinicians and therefore supports the opt-out approach. However the My Health Record system needs to be safe, secure, standardised, interoperable, meaningful and user-friendly.
Privacy concerns and legislation changes
Recent media suggests there is some ambiguity about the privacy legislation surrounding The My Health Record.
Last week the Hon Greg Hunt MP, Minister for Health, announced legislative changes to the My Health Record to strengthen privacy provisions under the My Health Record Act.
The amendments will ensure no record can be released to police or government agencies, for any purpose, without a court order. Furthermore, it will enable anyone wishing to cancel their record to do so by permanently deleting their record from the system. To read the full release click here.
APNA welcomes the Government’s change in legislation and its commitment to address consumer privacy concerns. We also support the Consumer Health Forum of Australia’s position statement on stronger protection for patient records.
Have more questions about My Health Record?
The Australian Digital Health Agency (ADHA) has comprised a list of frequently asked questions in order to address any questions you may have including ‘What does the Minister for Health’s announcement about legislation changes mean for me?’
ADHA has also recently created eight new videos on How to use My Health Record.
You can also watch other My Health Record videos, including case studies and multiple language versions.
News and Opinion
- News: My Health Record update: Legislation changes
- Championing Change
- Carnegie nurse wins Nurse of the Year at prestigious national awards
- Primary Times Spring 2018 issue out now
- Vaccinations: New resources to address common questions
- How do you get a job in general practice?
- The view from the other side
- Member tales: Greater scope
- HIV prevention as a primary health care nurse
- Member profile : Cathy Carrasco
- Farewell CEO
- News: Amendment to APNA’s Constitution gets passed at EGM in Melbourne
- Primary Times Summer 2018 issue out now
- Do you work in Central and Eastern Sydney?
- Member tales: ECGs, making nursing worth
- Member tales: Meningococcal scare
- Is ear irrigation within my scope of practice?
- Member tales: Reduce and protect
- Member tales: An empty schedule, but a full day
- Member tales: Changing Times
- Are you interested in improving the quality of data that is collected in primary health care?
- APNA welcomes Dr Tony Hobbs back on board
- Health Workforce Scholarship Program 2019
- Member tales: Everyone has poor health literacy until proven otherwise
- Long-serving board member appointed CEO
- Vaccination doesn't stop at childhood
- APNA welcomes $12 million boost to national immunisation education
- APNA meets with Health Minister Greg Hunt
- Member tales: Farmers in a rural practice
- Member tales: Another new year in primary health care
- Valuing our primary health care nurses: APNA Workforce Survey 2018 supported by Health Professionals Bank features in MJA InSight
- Time for their flu shot
- Primary Times Winter 2018 issue out now
- Does my workplace Professional Indemnity Insurance give me enough protection?
- News: Changes to Domiciliary Medication Management Review (DMMR)
- Now is the time to protect your older patients against shingles with Zostavax
- 2018 National Immunisation Program influenza vaccines available
- Are you ready for winter's woes?
- Here is how you pump up the volume - The trifecta of improving primary healthcare
- Getting you through the Flu (season)
- Are you getting the most out of your nursing workforce?
- News: Janine Mohamed: Cultural safety matters – The conversation we need to keep having
- News: Better care at end of life gets a boost with new website
- News: Cultural safety matters – The conversation we need to keep having
- Improving patient outcomes – Primary health care nurses working to the breadth of their scope of practice
- Nurses and midwives must not practise unless they have appropriate professional indemnity insurance cover
- News: Smart digital health to help drive government's chronic disease initiative
- What will Health Care Homes mean for nurses?
- The Bega Teen Clinic
- Multi-drug resistant gonorrhea
- Tough Talk– Australian urged to plan for end of life care